Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: about 20 pieces of candy
1 medium sized potato, peeled and halved
4 cups powdered sugar, plus plenty extra
2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
½ tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. In a medium-sized pot, cook potato in water until tender. Drain and let cool.
Tip: If you can insert a fork into the potato easily, it’s ready.
2. Place potato in a medium sized bowl and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Beat in powdered sugar (and vanilla extract, if desired).
3. The goal is a dough that can be rolled out, so check the consistency and add more sugar, if needed. (I added 2 more cups.)
4. Sprinkle extra sugar on a piece of wax paper and on the rolling pin to prevent sticking. Roll out dough until it is about ¼-inch thick.
5. Spread peanut butter on top. Roll up like a yoga mat and cut into slices about ½-inch thick.
Note: You may refrigerate any extra candies.
Sweetness Warning: Because Potato Candy is really sweet (like Southern Belle sweet), you might want to cut each candy in half (if it’s large like mine) before eating or serving.