Pizza Mac and Cheese: The Best of Both Worlds
Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
Total Time: 50-60 minutes
2 cups of elbow macaroni
2 cups half and half
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ cup cream cheese (room temperature)
8 ounces sharp shredded cheddar cheese
3 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
½ cup marinara sauce
½ cup sun dried tomatoes
3 ounces pepperoni slices
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Strain the pasta. Set aside about 1 cup of that same pasta water in a bowl for additional steps later on.
2. Heat up the half and half, oregano and crushed red pepper in a saucepan. It should simmer in about 15 minutes. Stir often.
3. Add the cream cheese and stir until there are no chunks in the mixture.
4. Mix in the shredded Cheddar and Gruyere cheese until sauce is smooth.
5. Add the macaroni and the previously set aside cups of water to the saucepan. Don’t worry if it looks too saucy because eventually the macaroni will soak up the excess liquid.
6. Now, stir in the marinara sauce, sun dried tomatoes and pepperoni.
7. Once thoroughly mixed, pour into a 13-by-9 inch pan.
8. Evenly sprinkle breadcrumbs and Parmesan over the baking pan with the macaroni and sauce in it.
9. Stick it in the oven for about 10 minutes to slightly brown the macaroni and allow the breadcrumbs to get crispy.
10. Take out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
11. Serve it up and grub ’til that food coma ensues.
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: