October 12, 2010
How to Perfectly Hard Boil an Egg
- Put the room-temperature eggs in a small pot and cover them with 1-inch water.
- Place over high heat; bring the water to a full rolling boil
- Immediately reduce the heat and simmer gently, setting your clock or microwave timer for 10-11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl or pot with ice and water.
- When the timer goes off and the eggs are finished cooking, remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and place them in the ice bath to stop the cooking process. (Eggs will continue to cook even under cold running water).
- When the eggs are cool to the touch, remove them from the ice water.
- Peel and eat immediately or store in the refrigerator for later use.