Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
2 pounds chicken thighs
1 hot pepper such as Caribbean scotch bonnet, serrano or jalapeño
1 large white or yellow onion
1 bunch scallions
½ cup cashews (optional)
2 cloves garlic
½ tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon poultry seasoning
2 tablespoon Caribbean curry powder (or 1.5 tbsp any curry powder and .5 tbsp all spice)
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
2. Roughly chop hot pepper, onion, scallions, garlic, ginger, and thyme. Add to blender/food processer with black pepper. Blend to puree.
3. Heat oil in large stock pot over medium/medium-high heat. Brown curry powder 5 min.
4. Add one cup of blended pepper and onion purée and brown chicken 5-7 minutes. Add extra oil if necessary to keep chicken from sticking.
5. Add remaining purée and simmer 20 minutes.
6. Cube potatoes the same size as chicken. Add and simmer 25 minutes.
7. Toast cashews in butter over medium-high heat for 5-10 min or until golden brown (optional). Garnish curry chicken with cashews and sliced scallion and serve over Jamaican rice and peas.
Recipe adapted from http://keithlorren.com/.