UK Teen Eats Spicy Dorito, Thinks She’s Dying
A 14-year-old girl feared for her life after losing Doritos’ version of Russian roulette.
Beth Laybourn, a U.K. student, recently decided to try out Doritos Roulette, a product that contains mostly the usual cheese-flavored chips but also a handful of spicy ones. The spicy chips are disguised to look exactly the same as the normal chips (hence “Roulette”).
Laybourn unknowingly ate one of the spicy chips and began to feel sick, reports The Sun.
“I started retching so I ran to the toilet and was sick. I had four mugs of milk and my throat still wouldn’t stop burning,” said Laybourn in an interview with The Sun. “I couldn’t breathe properly and I really thought I was going to die.”
The school took no time to warn parents about these new chips, sending out a letter explaining the chips are not suitable for children and that they can cause severe distress.
These chips are no joke: they measure in at 78,000 units on the Scoville Heat Scale, reports Metro UK. That makes these spicy chips comparable to infamous peppers such as the Malagueta, the Thai Pepper, and the Chiltepin, according to the ScovilleHeatScale.com.
Laybourn had an existing respiratory issue, which may have been a factor in her adverse reaction to the spicy chip. Even so, she claimed to have eaten spicy food before without a similarly extreme reaction.
“I love hot food, I love lamb bhunas — but this was the hottest thing I have ever had,” said Laybourn.” “It’s the latest craze and everyone’s talking about it. But I think they are dangerous.”
Doritos has apologized for the incident but added that they warned people these chips are extremely hot. During the Doritos Roulette launch, marketing manager Michael Walford said “There’s a warning on the pack for a reason — the invisible hot chips are exactly that.”