Fruit from 8 Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

8 Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

Full Story
iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Fruit

It’s never a good idea to put fruit in the microwave. Grapes, for example, will explode, and raisins send off so much plasma that they can ruin your microwave. 

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Hot Peppers

Hot peppers, especially those of the dried variety, can be a very unpleasant thing to try to microwave. The capsaicin, or the active ingredient in making peppers spicy, vaporizes when exposed to microwaves, and getting a faceful of that vapor makes for a highly uncomfortable experience.

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Eggs

Thought that you could hard-boil an egg by microwaving it? Think again. The insides will get super-hot, and the steam will have nowhere to go, so you’ll end up scrubbing chunks of yolk off of the inside of your microwave for hours.

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Metal

You’re hopefully aware of this, but metal really shouldn’t go in a microwave. Even the small amount found in a twist tie can send supercharged plasma shooting through your appliance, and aluminum foil can become an open flame. Place it on a microwave-safe dish instead.

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Water

Don’t try to boil a mug of water in the microwave. The water superheats but is unable to physically boil because the vessel remains cool, so when you try to stir it or add a teabag it boils all at once, exploding upwards, right in the direction of your face. If you must microwave water, stick a stirrer or something in it so it can boil as usual.

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Bread

If you put bread in a microwave you won’t end up with a ruined microwave, just a ruined piece of bread. After more than 10 or so seconds in a microwave, enough moisture leaves the bread to make it a hard, stale, chewy mess. The best way to bring back stale bread is to stick it in the oven for a few minutes.

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Plastic

Some plastic is microwave-safe, but it’s always labeled accordingly if it is. If it isn’t, it will melt inside your microwave, making for a nearly-impossible cleanup.

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock

Sponges

It's true that if you put a sponge in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, it'll kill off most of the bacteria on it. But the cons outweigh the pros here: Your kitchen will end up smelling awful. Sponges are cheap; just buy a new one.

You've just watched...

8 Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave