Drink To Celebrate Women
We’ve given you drinks for Mardi Gras. We’ve given you drinks for Halloween. We’ve even given you drinks for not celebrating Valentines Day. However, this Saturday is arguably the actual most important holiday of the year. That’s right, it’s International Women’s Day. And here at NYU Spoon we don’t believe in letting any holiday pass without an appropriate level of drinking. This weekend, raise your glass and give a cheer for women’s rights.
The Lucretia Mott
Lucretia Mott was a vital player in the fight for women’s rights. She even helped organize the Seneca Falls Convention. As an added bonus her last name is also a brand of apple juice.
2 oz whiskey
Mott’s apple juice
2 paper cut-outs of Lucretia Mott’s face
1 wooden skewer
1. Tape your cut-outs of Lucretia Mott’s face back to back on a wooden skewer.
2. Pour whiskey into a glass and fill the rest with Mott’s apple juice.
3. Stick skewer in drink and celebrate Lucretia Mott’s accomplishments.
If boys tried be make a cocktail this would be it. This actually doesn’t resemble a classic Manhattan cocktail in any way, but hey, they try. Show all those men that even if they can drink, you can drink better.
2 oz whiskey
1 tallboy of choice (we chose Beck’s)
1. Take a shot. Drink the beer. Outdrink all those boys.
Notice what word we left out of ****tail? Yeah. This is for after you down our “Man-hattan” and want to embrace your girly side and remember why we make better drinks in the first place.
2 oz Peach Schnapps
Lavender Soda (or regular seltzer water)
1. Pour peach schnapps into a Mason jar.
2. Fill the rest of the glass halfway with Rose, and then fill to the top with beverage of choice. We used Lavender Soda from the West Village’s Health and Harmony. Regular seltzer water would work here too.
3. Garnish with flowers – or edible glitter or other pink things or whatever decoration you want. This drink is all about celebrating yourself!
The Shirley Temperance
Did you know that the early women’s rights movement was also tied to the Temperance Movement? Yeah that’s right – women covered all sorts of reform! In retrospect they probably wouldn’t like that we added vodka to this classically non-alcoholic drink…
Cherry syrup (you can use the syrup from the jar of Maraschino cherries)
2 oz Cherry vodka
1. Pour a shot of cherry vodka into a glass. Fill the rest with Sprite. Add cherry syrup to taste.
2. Top with whipped cream and a cherry. Drink to not drinking and women’s reform?
Consensual Sex on the Beach
You know what makes sex better? Consent! You know what makes alcohol better? Ice cream!
2 oz vodka
2 oz Peach schnapps
1. Pour vodka and peach schnapps into a glass. Fill almost to the top with pineapple juice, leaving about a 1/4 of the glass empty.
2. Add a scoop of ice cream (any flavor you want – it’s your right to chose). Top with lots of maraschino cherries, treat yourself.