Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 10-15 mochi
1 1/2 cup of rice flour (can substitute with flour)
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla (optional)
1 1/2 cup of water
1 drop of rice vinegar
1. Mix the rice flour, sugar and water in a large, microwaveable bowl. Add the vanilla (or add a tablespoon of another liquid flavoring. I suggest lemon juice).
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap loosely and microwave for 10 minutes.
3. While the mochi is cooking, cover a baking sheet with flour.
4. Take the bowl out of the microwave and, while it is still hot, take the mochi out of the bowl and place it on top of the flour, so it does not stick to the bowl.
5. Let the mochi cool for approximately 5 minutes.
6. Flatten the mochi and cut into equally sized squares (about 12 pieces).
7. Flatten each piece and prepare to fill!
8. Fill ‘Er Up! The best and easiest way to fill each mochi is to turn each piece into a miniature cup, using the pinch pot method.
Here are few quick and delicious fillings to try:
Sugar coated strawberry pieces
A single scoop of ice cream
Apricot jam (comment other flavors)
OR…combine flavors and get nutella-strawberry Daifuku!
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: