A Classic Memorial Day Lunch Menu
Make this Memorial Day memorable by hosting an elegant backyard picnic and enjoying lots of family time. Spend time together preparing and cooking the meal and decorating your yard. Then invite other families over for an afternoon picnic followed by board and lawn games in the afternoon light.
Rosemary symbolizes remembrance so use lots of it in your decor and share stories of the service men and women in your family lineage as you celebrate the day. Wind down the night with two all-American classics: Root Beer Floats and sparklers.
Setting the Scene
• Instead of serving the sandwiches on a platter, wrap them up in white parchment and butcher’s twine for an elegant look.
• Set out large pitchers of lemonade and ice tea and use jam jars (like Mason or Ball jars) in lieu of drinking glasses.
• Use real plates and napkins! Not only will it cut down on waste, but it adds a classier feel to your gathering.
• Instead of flowers, set small pots of rosemary down the table.
• Set out a blanket in the grass for those who don’t want to sit at the table to enjoy.
• Get a couple of boxes of sparklers for lighting when it gets dark.
• Set up an outdoor activity like croquet, badminton, or frisbee.
• Pick out a couple of your favorite board games, such as Scrabble or Balderdash.