Cravings for pizza don’t only come when you are trashed on Route 1 late at night. Yet, your sober brain is a bit more health-conscious than your five-shots-in brain. While healthy pizza may sound like an oxymoron, I promise this recipe won’t hurt your plans to look good in a bathing suit this summer.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: About 75 minutes
Servings: 1 personal pizza
1 medium-sized head of cauliflower 1 egg beaten ¼ cup of goat cheese 1 teaspoon dried oregano salt pizza toppings
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the head of cauliflower into florets by chopping the head into quarters first. If you cut the thick stem in the middle, the cauliflower will naturally fall into florets. Some of these may need to be cut into smaller pieces.
Tip: This method of making florets is just a suggestion, but you can do it any way you like!
2. Using a food processor or a blender, pulse the cauliflower until it looks like rice.
3. Boil about an inch of water in a medium saucepan. Lower the heat slightly, and toss in the “riced” cauliflower. Cook for 4-5 minutes, covered.
4. Strain the cooked “rice” and dump it onto a thin dish towel. Wrap it up and squeeze as much water out of the cauliflower as possible into the sink. This might take some time, but the more water you squeeze out, the better your crust will stick together.
5. Put the rice into a medium-sized bowl. Mix in the beaten egg, goat cheese, oregano and salt. I promise you can’t taste the goat cheese once it is cooked in.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form a crust with the cauliflower mixture.
Tip: Make the sides a little higher than the center to keep the toppings from falling off later. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
7. Bring on the toppings!
(I chose to throw on some tomato sauce, caramelized onions, sliced tomato, steamed broccoli and goat cheese in my customized pizza!)
Then, cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted to your liking.
You can find the original recipe that inspired this post here.