Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
Cupcakes are some of my favorite things to bake. This recipe is a fun twist on the traditional Boston Cream Pie: a simple yellow cake with a cream filling and chocolate glaze. It looks complicated but with a little time and patience, it’s a piece of cake (ha!). If you can make a cake you can make this easy recipe!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Cream Filling Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
A dash of salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Simmer whipping cream in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the yolks, sugar and salt and stir with a fork.
3. Once the mixture is creamy, add the flour and continue stirring until thick and smooth.
4. Once the cream is simmering, pour it into the egg mixture. Stir with a spoon until combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and continue stirring until the mixture thickens, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter is melted.
7. Transfer the cream filling into a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap or foil. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
Homemade Cupcake Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in 12 pieces
3/4 cups 2% milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the butter one piece at a time, using your hands to mix it with the flour until it makes a crumbly mixture.
4. Add eggs and mix with an electric hand mixer until combined.
5. Add the milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
6. Fill the cupcake cups 3/4 of the way full with batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a fork into the middle of a cupcake. It will come out clean when done. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients:
3/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
8 oz dark chocolate
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Putting it all together!
With a sharp knife cut into the top of the cupcake at a 45° angle. Cut in a circle so that you can remove a cone-shape of cake. Fill the hole with cream filling and cover with the chocolate glaze. Let glaze harden for 10 minutes and enjoy!