13 Deliciously Old-Fashioned No-Bake Cakes
Whipped cream enthusiasts rejoice! This is the dessert for you! In its most basic form, an icebox cake is a dessert made of wafer cookies that are layered together with whipped cream. Once the no-bake cake is left in the fridge or freezer overnight, a magical transformation takes place. Gone is the loud, crunchy, crack of crispy wafers! Instead… cake?! It is truly a kitchen miracle.
The icebox cake was introduced to the U.S. during World War I and became increasingly popular in the 1920s and 30s due to its use of premade ingredients.
Icebox cakes come together easily with little preparation involved, and you don’t even need to turn on an oven. They are a great warm-weather dessert and there are so many varieties that it is easy to find a recipe to suit your tastes. Most icebox cake recipes are so simple that you can easily make substitutions — like changing the flavor of the whipped cream or using your favorite cookies. The sky’s the limit with this easy and wonderful old fashioned dessert!
- Alton Brown Cooking His Steak With Mayonnaise Is Actually a Genius Hack
- Taste Test: Chick-fil-A vs. Sam’s Club Copycat Nuggets
- These Are the 40 Things Every Woman Over 40 Should Know About Her Health
- Kylie Jenner Just Had Cereal With Milk for the First Time
- Denny's New Mobile Relief Diner Is on Its Way to the Carolinas