Baking Bad: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Cooling time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45-50 minutes
Servings: around 8
4 cups rhubarb, diced
2 cups strawberries, diced
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
zest of one orange + 1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
1. Dice rhubarb and strawberries into equal sized pieces.
2. Mix all of the filling ingredients.
3. Mix all of the dry topping ingredients first, then cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers. The final mixture should look like cookie dough but still be crumbly enough to separate.
4. Spoon the filling into ramekins or a single baking pan. TIP: If you use 6 ramekins like I did, prepare to have a small pan ready for the leftover filling and topping.
5. Top with the crumble.
6. Place ramekins on a cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes; the filling should be vigorously bubbling; the topping should be a little browned; and your neighbors should be wondering what insanely delicious thing you’re baking. If you’re using a single, bigger baking dish, increase the baking time to 30-35 minutes.
8. Let cool for 10 minutes. Top with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy the fantastic fruitiness of nature.
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: