- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 Teaspoons salt (divided use)
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter or margarine (divided use)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 Cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped (diced works well, too)
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried whole marjoram
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten with 4 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 Cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 Cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Green pepper rings and fresh parsley sprigs, for garnish
Step 1: Peel 1 medium eggplant, if desired, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 1 hour. Pat moisture off with paper towels.
Step 2: In a very large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter; add 1 chopped onion and 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent.
Step 3: Add 1 pound ground beef, cooking over medium heat and stirring to crumble, until beef is browned. Drain.
Step 4: Add 1 (28-ounce) can coarsely chopped tomatoes, 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish.
Step 6: Dip eggplant slices into the egg mixture (made from 2 eggs beaten with 4 tablespoons milk) and then into 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, coating well.
Step 7: In a heavy skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter. Arrange a single layer of eggplant in the skillet and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, adding more butter as needed.
Step 8: In the greased baking dish, layer 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the eggplant, 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Add remaining meat sauce and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Step 9: Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with green pepper rings and parsley.