Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 apple, cored, peeled and diced (preferably a firm variety of apple, like Granny Smith or Fuji)
1/4 cup rum
3 tablespoons lemon juice (or juice of 1 fresh lemon)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Over medium heat, melt butter in sauté pan with cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. Once melted, add cubed apple and stir occasionally until browned and softened, about 8 minutes.
3. Turn up heat to high and add rum and lemon juice. Either use a lighter to flambé (for you daredevils out there… Seriously though, be careful with this) or allow all the alcohol to burn off (probably the better option).
4. Lower heat back to medium and add brown sugar and nuts. Stir to ensure sugar melts evenly.
5. When the sauce reduces to a caramel-like consistency, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve immediately.