5 Amazing Southwestern- and Mexican-Inspired Vegan Recipes
Southwestern and Mexican fare are characterized by tasty favorites like tacos, burritos, rice and beans, tortillas, and quesadillas, with accompaniments like fresh salsa and guacamole. And don’t forget the margaritas!
Although meat and cheese play a significant role in the cuisine of parts of Mexico and the Southwestern United States, there are also plenty of vegan options and easy plant-based substitutions.
When dining out, watch out for lard and chicken stock in rice and beans, and be sure to specify that you don’t want cheese or sour cream. Sometimes they are included in a dish even if not listed in the menu description. Adding guacamole and salsa to a dish, or asking for extra on the side, is a great way to replace the moisture and flavor of these omissions.
When cooking at home, the options are endless! There are more vegan cheese options on the market than ever before, and they are getting pretty convincing. You can also find vegan sour cream and plenty of soy, wheat, and other grain-based meat substitutes to use in tacos, burritos, and fajitas.
So give one of these five tasty vegan recipes a try on your next Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday and let us know what you think!
More From One Green Planet:
- Alton Brown Cooking His Steak With Mayonnaise Is Actually a Genius Hack
- Taste Test: Chick-fil-A vs. Sam’s Club Copycat Nuggets
- These Are the 40 Things Every Woman Over 40 Should Know About Her Health
- Kylie Jenner Just Had Cereal With Milk for the First Time
- Denny's New Mobile Relief Diner Is on Its Way to the Carolinas