11 Ways to Use Blueberries
The Sneaky Chef
Summer is known as berry season, and along with the vibrant red, pink, and black ones we see on the berry stands, we also see those perky bright blueberries sitting there just waiting to be eaten. Blueberries are delicious, packed with nutrition, and have a longer shelf life than some other berries.
At about 80 calories per cup, blueberries are one of nature’s perfect candies, serving as an entirely guilt-free snack, but that’s not all they’re good for. Recently, blueberries have come to be seen as an incredibly versatile ingredient — finding their way into everything from refreshing ice pops to tangy barbecue sauces, fudgy brownies, and juicy burgers.
As blueberries are great for snacking and cooking, they are not only the superfood of the season but one of the most nutritious berries in their field. Before getting to some of the many ways to play around with them, here are our top 10 reasons blueberries are your new best friends this summer.
TOP 10 REASONS TO EAT BLUEBERRIES:
• They’re packed with more antioxidants than any other fruit or vegetable.
• They are bursting with vitamins A and C, zinc, potassium, iron, calcium, and magnesium, and they’re also high in fiber.
• They boost our immunity against everyday illnesses.
• Blueberries contain 38 percent more heart-healthy anthocyanins than red wine.
• Blueberries help neurons in the brain talk to each other, significantly improving learning function, motor skills, and memory.
• Like cranberries, they also help protect against urinary tract infections.
• They can help relieve both diarrhea and constipation.
• They boost lutein, which helps protect vision.
• They help fight belly fat.
• They taste great.
There isn’t a meal on a midsummer day that blueberries can’t make sweeter or more delicious. Here are 11 recipes to enjoy from breakfast to dinner. All the recipes use The Sneaky Chef’s super simple Blueberry Juice or the signature Sneaky Chef Purple Purée — an incredible mix of blueberries and another super health hero, spinach.
Originally published on July 18, 2013
- Dîner en Blanc Is the Largest, Most Extravagant Dinner Party You’ve Never Heard Of
- Meat Supplier Connected to Publix E.Coli Cases Issues Further Recall
- These Airline Pilot Secrets Will Make You Less Afraid to Fly
- Alton Brown Cooking His Steak With Mayonnaise Is Actually a Genius Hack
- McDonald's Is Serving Poutine in Chicago for a Limited Time