Winter Greens with Roasted Citrus Vinaigrette
This salad showcases cool-season ingredients such as kale, endive, lemons, and mandarins. Garnish it with pomegranate seeds or toasted pumpkin seeds if you like.
- 1 lemon
- 2 mandarin oranges, tangerines, or blood oranges
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch (3/4 pound) Lacinato (or dinosaur) kale, ribs removed, very thinly sliced
- 1 small head radicchio, halved and sliced
- 1 large Belgian endive, halved and sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut lemon and oranges in half crosswise and remove any seeds. Place in a small baking dish and toss with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Turn cut-side down and roast until tender and lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Allow to cool.
Using a spoon, remove flesh from citrus and place in a blender. Pour in any juice from the baking pan. Add honey, salt, and pepper, and blend until smooth, adding a tablespoon of water if the mixture is too thick to blend easily. With the motor running, slowly add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Place vinaigrette in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add kale and stir until lightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add radicchio and endive, and toss until coated and warm. Divide among plates and serve warm or at room temperature.