At your game party, instead of chili, serve this hearty soup and learn the budget power of using a little bit of flavorful sausage to create a lot of satisfying food. Let guests garnish their own bowls with sliced red onions, red pepper flakes or hot sauce, crumbled Feta cheese, fresh chopped parsley or basil and whole-grain croutons.
- 2 32-ounce boxes low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 7 Cups cooked white beans (cannellini, navy or great northern), divided
- 1 bunch organic kale, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped
Heat 1/4 cup broth in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and sausage is just browned, about 10 minutes. Add onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes more. (Add a generous splash of broth to the pot if onions begin to stick.)
Meanwhile, put 3 cups beans and 2 cups broth into a blender and purée until smooth; set aside. Add remaining broth to sausage mixture in pot and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add kale, reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until wilted and softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover, add remaining 4 cups beans, bean puree, salt and pepper and simmer until hot throughout, about 5 minutes more.