Every Friday, The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up some of the week's big food stories.
• A Texas elementary school will use cameras to monitor what students are eating for lunch and track their calories. [AP]
• Exploring the link between cooking shows and America's obesity problems. [Fox]
• Thomas Keller's newest outpost of Bouchon Bakery opened at Rockefeller Center Thursday. [NYT]
• Mid-Atlantic burger chain, Jake's Wayback opens their first New York City location this week. [GSNY]
• New study looks at which markets are prime for chain restaurant expansion. D.C, San Francisco, and Baltimore were named. [NRN]
Shame of the Week
• Energy drink company, Red Bull will launch a lifestyle magazine next month. [Media Bistro]
•10 students were arrested Tuesday after starting a food fight at their Georgia high school. [The Republic]
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.