- One 16-ounce box white cake mix, preferably Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package of cherry-flavored or other red-colored unsweetened soft drink mix
- 1 container white frosting, preferably Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Whipped fluffy white frosting
- Green and red food colors, for decorating
- 2/3 cup green jelly beans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees for regular pans and 325 degrees for nonstick pans. With nonstick cooking oil or spray, grease the bottom and sides of two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans. In a small bowl, toss the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the cake mix. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the remaining cake mix, water, oil, egg whites, and drink mix on low speed 30 seconds, Continue to beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Stir in the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the pans.
Bake and cool as directed on the box. In a small bowl, stir 1 cup of the frosting with 10- 12 drops of green food color. Stir 10-12 drops of red food color into the remaining frosting. Frost the sides of the cakes with green frosting, and press the green jellybeans into the frosting to form the rind. Frost the tops of the cakes with red frosting and press the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips into the frosting for the seeds. To serve, cut the cake into wedges. Store loosely covered.