Beans are an ideal source of Clean-Eating protein and even those who aren’t vegetarian love this “meaty” meatless chili recipe. It is still a satisfying version of chili without losing out on hearty flavor. Use leftovers in a wrap for lunch the next day.
- 2 extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 3 chili powder
- 2 cumin seeds, toasted*
- 1/4 red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 canned great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 dried oregano
- 2 dried basil
- 4 squares chocolate, preferably organic
- 1, 28 Ounce ounce can tomatoes
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
In a Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrot and sauté until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Stir in the chili powder, cumin seeds, and red pepper flakes.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.