This is our all-purpose “go to” frosting. It’s great for piping into lush, swirling mountains of frostiness and just as good for spreading onto a cupcake like rolling hills of heaven. It makes a lot, probably 4 cups’ worth, so you can halve the recipe if you are going to be spreading the frosting rather than piping it.
Adapted from “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World” by Isa Chandra Moskovitz and Terry Hope Romero.
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated margarine, preferably Earth Balance)
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and soy milk and beat for another 5-7 minutes until fluffy.