Here's a quick and easy side dish that's packed with nutrients. A simple topping of Greek yogurt, garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes sets this side dish apart from other versions of sautéed spinach.
See all spinach recipes.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped finely
- One 14 ½-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 bunches spinach, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 Cup Greek yogurt
- 1 -2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until softened but not brown, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes just to heat. (Add 1-2 tablespoons water if it is too dry.) Stir in the chopped spinach, and cover with a lid. Cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes, then remove the lid and cook until all excess water evaporates.
Beat the garlic into the yogurt. If time allows, place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Place a dollop of the yogurt mixture on top of the spinach. Just before serving, top the yogurt with the olive oil and season with the red pepper flakes or cayenne.