- 1/2 Pound Mild Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground pepper
- 8 servings Atkins Cuisine Bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Cup Chicken broth
- 1 Teaspoon Poultry seasoning or ground sage
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter
- 2 Medium celery ribs, minced
- 1 Medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Dried thyme leaves
- 10 Pounds Whole turkey, thawed, rinsed inside and out and patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
• Prep time: 45 minutes
• Cooking time: 240 minutes
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Set a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage and pan drippings to a bowl and set aside.
3. Melt butter in skillet. Add celery and onion; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add to sausage.
4. Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Add thyme, poultry seasoning and ½ teaspoon pepper; stir until blended. Add bread cubes and toss gently to coat completely. Add sausage and vegetables and stock; stir gently to blend.
5. Stuff cavity of the turkey loosely with the bread mixture. Secure drumsticks together with cooking string or ties. (Don’t pack stuffing too firmly; it mist be fairly loose in order to cook properly.)
6. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil, season with salt and pepper, cover loosely with foil and roast until juices run clear when turkey is pierced in the thigh with a sharp knife and the center of the stuffing registers at least 165°F, about 3 hours. After 2 ½ hours, remove foil and cut string between drumsticks and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Spoon stuffing into bowl and serve alongside.