- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 pounds small cockles, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound linguini
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large pot over moderately high heat until oil is hot but not smoking. Sauté onion until golden-brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano; cook, stirring occasionally until garlic is golden-brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine and clam juice and bring to a boil; reduce for 3 minutes.
Stir cockles into sauce and and bring to a simmer. Cover pot and cook until cockles open wide, 4-6 minutes. As the cockles are cooking fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Discard any cockles that have not opened. Remove pot from heat and stir in butter until melted.
Cook pasta in salted water until al dente, about 7 minutes, and drain in a colander.
Add pasta to cockles along with parsley and salt. Toss until pasta is coated in sauce and finish with chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese.