Sweet Plantain Guacamole
This savory recipe for guacamole made from avocado and plantains was created by the "Civilized Caveman," George Bryant, and it is completely gluten-free, and paleo-friendly.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large brown plantain, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3 large avocados, cut in half, pits removed
- ¼ medium white onion, finely chopped
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ Teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
Place a small skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil.
Once the coconut oil is hot, add half of the garlic to the pan along with diced plantain
When the plantain dice begin to brown, salt them, and then flip to brown on other side.
Add the water to the pan and cover to steam the plantain. Once the plantain dice are soft, remove from the heat and let cool.
While the plantain finishes cooking, scoop out the insides of the pitted avocados and add to a large bowl to mash.
Mash up the avocado with a fork. Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Mix well, then fold in the plantains. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.