This hearty, comforting dish may taste like it costs a fortune, but it will only set you back a few dollars. Typically, when it comes to budget meals for two, it's easy to assume that cooking steak will be way too luxurious. This dish uses a cheaper cut of beef that's braised in tomato sauce to add extra flavor and tenderness.
Total cost: $6.68
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped ($.57)
- ¾ pound eye round steak, seasoned with salt ($4.13)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes ($1.49)
- ½ pound pasta, cooked according to package directions ($.49)
In a heavy pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions and cook until translucent, then set the onions aside. Turn the heat up to medium-high and sear the steak on all sides, then transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to low and return the onion to the pot, along with the salt, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and tomatoes. Gently submerge the steak in the sauce, cover the pot, and let it simmer for at least an hour, or until the meat is tender.
Serve immediately over pasta.