Spinach Salad With Pears, Walnuts, and Goat Cheese
Take advantage of pears in season and try a new variety in this twist on a popular dish. A little sweet pear (or apple or dried fig) makes the dressing especially good.
- 3 Anjou, Bosc, or Comice pears
- 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon German mustard
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- 3/4 Pounds spinach, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, toasted
- 4 Ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Chop 1 pear and slice the remaining 2. Put chopped pear, oil, vinegar, mustard, and honey into a blender and purée. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons water, more if needed, to thin for a pourable dressing. Put spinach, onion, walnuts, goat cheese, sliced pears, and dressing into a large bowl and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.