- 3 pounds ground lamb shoulder
- 1 small onion, grated
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped marjoram
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 large eggplants, sliced into ½-inch-thick circles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
To make the burgers, mix the lamb and all the remaining ingredients through the red pepper flakes together well. Chill for several hours. (You can season the lamb a day ahead and refrigerate overnight.)
When you’re ready to serve, prepare a fire in a charcoal grill. Paint the eggplant slices with the olive oil and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill the slices over hot coals for about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a large serving platter.
Divide the seasoned meat into 24 portions. Form each into a sausage shape about 4 inches long, and insert a slender skewer into each one. Or form patties and cook them like burgers. Grill over hot coals, turning once, about 3 minutes per side, so the lamb stays juicy.
Put the lamb burgers over the eggplant slices on the platter and serve.