**If desired, use oat bran in place of ground rolled oats
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sneaky Chef Purple Purée
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-grain flour or whole grain pastry flour
- 1/4 Cup rolled oats, ground in a food processor **
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Butter or nonstick cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line the bottom — but not the sides — of an 8-by-8 inch or 9-by-9 inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in a double-boiler or metal bowl over simmering water (or in a microwave, checking every 15 seconds). Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool a bit. Meanwhile, in another bowl, stir together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, and Purple Purée. Combine this purple egg mixture with the cooled chocolate mixture.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, oats, and salt. Add this to the chocolate mixture and blend the two thoroughly. Mix in the chopped walnuts, if using, and then pour the entire mixture into the baking pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan before cutting them using a plastic or butter knife. Dust the top of the brownies with powdered sugar, if desired.
The brownies can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator, covered tightly.