- 1 Cup hickory wood chips, soaked for 30 minutes
- 40 Manila clams
- 3 Tablespoons soy oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 shot tequila blanco or mezcal
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Cup clam juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
To make the smoker, use a wide pot and a strainer. Add the wet hickory chips and place over medium heat. Set the strainer in the middle of the pot. Put the clams on the strainer and cover with a lid.
Meanwhile, heat the soy oil in a sauté pan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the shallot and cook for less than 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Sauté for 1 minute and carefully add the tequila. Add the butter and clam juice. When the butter has melted, add the lime juice and season with salt, to taste.
The clams should be ready by now. Transfer to 4 serving dishes and pour the sauce on top of each. Serve immediately.