You can also braise this on your stove top but the ease of making this slow cooker german red cabbage makes this recipe really enjoyable! I took a short cut and microwaved the bacon so I didn't dirty a pan but if you do braise then use the same pan. I happened to have some bacon fat in my refrigerator so I add to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and cut up
- 1 red cabbage, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon mulling spice (wrapped in cheese cloth)
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Saute or Microwave your bacon then cut into pieces. If you are going to saute reserve about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Set your slow cooker to medium. Add bacon fat or 2 tablespoons or another fat/butter. Add all ingredients to your slow cooker, set on low for 6 hours. Remove mulling spice cheese cloth and Serve.