For the dressing:
- ¼ cup tarragon vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white, granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons dried tarragon or 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
For the salad:
- 1 head butter or Boston lettuce, rinsed and drained dry
- ½ head radicchio, rinsed and drained dry
Add the vinegar, salt, sugar, tarragon, and mustard to a medium stainless steel bowl. Whisk to combine. Add egg yolk and whisk until smooth.Continue to whisk as you add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until it is completely incorporated. Add the garlic and refrigerate in a sealed non-reactive container until ready to use. It will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Tear lettuce and radicchio into bite-sized pieces into a medium stainless steel bowl. Toss with your hands until lettuces are combined well. Add dressing to taste and toss again using your hands to avoid bruising the lettuce. Divide equally between 4 chilled salad bowls and serve with freshly ground black pepper.