Seafood Soup with Kale and Potatoes
A Caldo Verde, or "green soup," is traditionally made with sausage and loads of potatoes. Our lighter seafood version is nourishing and satisfying with protein-rich scallops and calcium-packed kale.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 large leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 6 Cups low-sodium fish stock or chicken broth
- 4 small new potatoes, quartered
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves cut into strips
- 1 1/2 Pound halibut, grouper or monkfish fillets, cut into large piece
- 12 sea scallops
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium pot. Add bacon, if using, and leeks and cook until softened but not browned. Add stock or broth, potatoes, and kale and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Add fish and simmer for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove and discard bacon. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season scallops all over with salt and pepper and cook until lightly golden, about 2 minutes per side. Ladle soup into bowls, top with scallops, and serve.