Who doesn't love eating all that delicious wine-soaked fruit at the bottom of a glass of Sangria? This fruit salad takes the concept and turns it into a sweet, boozy summertime dessert. (Plus you get a cocktail out of it too!)
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- ¾ cup Grand Marnier
- 2 cups rosé
- 2 cups red wine (try an inexpensive Rioja)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ½-2 cups strawberries, tops removed and halved
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- Whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Fresh mint, for garnish (optional)
In a large mixing bowl or pitcher, combine the sugar, Grand Marnier, and both wines. Stir until the sugar has been fully integrated. Next, add in all of the sliced fruit, making sure that all the pieces are submerged or coated in the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
To serve, use a slotted spoon to remove the Sangria-soaked fruit and arrange on a plate or in a bowl. Top if you want, with a dollop of whipped cream (mascarpone would work equally well) and a sprig of fresh mint.