Roasted Beet, Orange, and Avocado Salad Recipe
Colorful and loaded with folate, vitamin C, and "good fats," this salad also has wonderful texture thanks to hearty beets, melt-in-your-mouth avocado, and juicy orange slices.
- 2 medium red beets, tops removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe orange, peeled
- ½ ripe but firm avocado, cubed
- 1 cup mache or baby greens (optional)
- ¼ cup pasteurized feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil and place the beets on top. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon canola oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Cover tightly with more foil and roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, orange juice, salt and pepper, and whisk until combined.
Once the beets have cooled, peel them with a knife, cut them into 1 ½-inch cubes and transfer to a serving bowl.
Cut the orange in half and cut out the segments. Add them to the serving bowl along with the avocado and mache, if desired. Drizzle the dressing over, toss to coat, then sprinkle the feta on top and serve.