Red, White, and Bean Minestrone
Instead of a three-bean salad, try this three-bean soup! It's a great way for your kids to eat their vegetables.
For more recipes, visit bushbeans.com.
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Italian turkey sausage, in small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Cup chopped carrots
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 Ounces chopped canned tomatoes
- 5 Cups chicken stock
- 15.5 Ounces cannellini beans with liquid
- 8 Ounces red kidney beans, drained
- 2 Cups zucchini cut into 6-inch pieces
- 2 Cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 Cup baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons pre-packaged pesto
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium sauté pan. Add sausage, brown well.
Add tomato paste, cook 5 minutes until brown.
Add onions, celery, garlic, carrots, and oregano. Cook until garlic is aromatic, approximately 5 minutes.
Pour into a 4-quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes and chicken stock.
Cook on low setting for 6–7 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in beans, zucchini, spinach, and cooked pasta. Cook on high setting for 8 minutes or until beans and pasta are warmed through and spinach has wilted.
To Serve: pour the soup into a bowl. Top with a little pesto and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.