Along with tomatoes and mozzarella, zucchini is another popular summer ingredient, and this recipe combines them all. Make these savory zucchini cakes from all of the abundant squash, and then stack them up with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil for a delicious dinner.
- 4 Cups shredded zucchini, from about 2 medium-sized zucchini
- 1/2 Cup grated onion
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup crushed, cheese-flavored crackers, such as Cheez-Its Four Cheese Italian
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 8 Ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Place the shredded zucchini and onion in a salad spinner, sprinkle with salt, and let stand 30 minutes. Spin the mixture to dry and squeeze out any excess liquid.
Whisk together the egg, garlic powder, oregano, and baking powder.
Stir in the zucchini mixture and the crushed cracker. Scoop the batter with a 1/3-cup measure onto a baking sheet and press into 8 cakes.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet to medium-high. Sauté the cakes in 2 batches over medium heat until golden, about 4 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed.
Add a mozzarella slice to each cake in the last 2 minutes of cooking to slightly melt mozzarella.
Assemble the Napoleons by layering a zucchini cake, a tomato slice, and 2 basil leaves on each. Top with the remaining cake and garnish with basil.
Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil if desired and freshly cracked black pepper.