TERRIFIC TIP: Most bar cookies freeze well, so feel free to make them if you have a craving.
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1/2 Cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed or 1 cup cooked Louisiana yams, mashed
- One 16-ounce box confectioners' sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, butter, and egg until they are well mixed. Spread the batter into a prepared pan.
In another mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sweet potatoes, confectioners’ sugar, egg whites, and vanilla until the mixture is creamy. Stir in the semisweet chocolate chips. Pour this mixture over the batter in the pan.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares.