- 3 slices bacon, diced (pork, turkey or vegetarian)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 Cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 Pound salmon fillet, skin removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives for garnish
Brown bacon in a deep, heavy-bottomed sauce pot until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Cook onion and celery in the bacon fat in the same pot until onion is translucent. Add potatoes and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; do not brown. Add carrots and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add milk, half-and-half, salmon, parsley, dill and pepper. Simmer over low heat 5 to 8 minutes or until fish is cooked through and liquid is steaming, but not boiling. Add more pepper and salt to taste. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with crispy bacon pieces and chives.