- 10 Pounds wild venison, fat removed, 1/8 Inch dice
- 3 Pounds pork, back fat, 1/16 inch dice
- 2 Ounces kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 Teaspoon cracked butcher pepper
- 1 Cup cape cod cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 Teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 2 Cups ice water
- 1/2 Cup chilled red wine
- 20 feet of hog middle casing, soaked in tepid water
Dice all meat according to specifications, place in a large bowl over ice to keep very cold.
Add kosher salt and fresh thyme to the meat.
Toast the peppercorns, coriander, fennel seeds in a cast iron pan until fragrant and crushed using the back of a knife or a spice grinder, add to the meat mixture along with smoked paprika cracked pepper, and cranberries.
Mix meat with hands and slowly add the chilled water and wine until combined and resembles a paste like consistency.
Now is a good time to sample the meat by cooking a small portion and testing for seasoning, adjust salt as needed.
To begin casing, wash out the hog middles and remove all excess water.
Prepare the casing over the sausage extruder tip.
Fill the extruder with the meat mixture.
Fill and tie sausage to desired length.
Prick Sausage with a Sausage needle, allow to air hang dry for at least 2 hours.
This sausage can be cooked by blanching, grilling, roasting or frying.
Enjoy with crusty bread and whole grain mustard.