Get outside and start up the fire to make this Whole Grilled Chicken with Citrus Butter and Avocado Sauce! The grill is so versatile and can literally cook everything, so why not a whole grilled chicken with a butter and citrus baste. To top is off and cool your taste buds, a delicious Avocado Dipping Sauce made from a plain yogurt base from the refrigerated aisle.
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high (375° to 425°).
2. Chicken: in a small bowl mix together the chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and pepper, and take 2 tablespoons of the spice blend and set the rest aside.
3. Add the whole chicken to a large bowl and drizzle on 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the spice blend all over the chicken. Note: Trussing the chicken is optional.
4. Place the chicken breast side down on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on all sides until the chicken is covered in grill marks.
5. Next transfer the chicken to a cast iron skillet and continue to cook it on the grill with the lid closed and cook for 1 hour.
Butter: In a separate medium sized bowl mix together the softened butter and citrus until combined. Baste the chicken on all sides with the butter baste every 10 to 15 minutes or until it’s gone.
Avocado Yogurt: In another separate large bowl mash together the yogurt and avocado until smooth and mix in the lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and keep cool.
To Plate: Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 4 to 5 minutes before serving. Baste one last time if there is still some butter left and serve it along side the avocado yogurt sauce.