Warm Cabbage, Apple, and Wheat Germ Salad
Try this fresh take on salad that’s especially welcome when there’s a chill in the air. This sweet and savory side dish pairs well with many pork main courses. Recipe courtesy of Kretschmer Wheat Germ.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, sliced into 1/2-inch sticks, about 3 3/4 cups
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 Cup golden raisins
- 1 Cup apple cider
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
In a heavy-bottomed 10-inch skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Mix in the apples, cabbage, carrots, and raisins. Stir to combine. Pour in the apple cider. Cover and cook over medium heat just until cabbage is wilted, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in the walnuts, wheat germ, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Allow the salad to sit for 5 minutes before serving to absorb some of the liquid.