The recipe is delicious and flexible. Try using canned pumpkin purée for a faster preparation, or use your favorite nuts to change the flavor up, and feel free to mix up your choice of fresh herbs. This recipe comes from Guiding Stars.
- 2 Pounds hubbard squash, cubed and roasted
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ Cup Asiago cheese, grated
- ¼ Cup walnuts, toasted and minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, minced, plus more for garnish
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 whole-wheat baguette, thinly sliced
Purée the roasted squash. Over medium heat, sauté the onions in 1 tablespoon of the oil until lightly caramelized.
Add the cooked onion, cheese, walnuts, mint, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the squash and purée.
Spread the mix over the baguette slices. Garnish with additional fresh mint and serve warm.