You’ll be surpised by how flavorful these beans are! Lightly sweet and spicy, these baked beans are a healthier alternative to the traditional sugar and pork fueled baked beans. For the best results, cool completely after cooking. This will thicken the bean liquid and allow the flavors to marry. Reheat to serve.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 1 green bell pepper, small dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced small
- 4 cans white beans, liquid reserved
- 1 Tablespoon mustard powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Worchester sauce
- 1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 2 Teaspoons cayenne powder
- 2 Teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
In a medium pot over medium-high heat, lightly sauté bell pepper, jalapeño, and onion until soft and the onion is translucent. Pour in beans with liquid and add all other ingredients. Cover and reduced heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Let sit for 30 minutes – 1 hour to let thicken and flavors meld together.