Alongside the hamburgers and hot dogs at our summer cookouts will be these vegetable pitas. Mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, and red onion make this sandwich hearty and satisfying, and additions like balsamic and goat cheese make it extra flavorful.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed and gills scraped out
- 2 zucchinis, sliced lengthwise
- 1 red onion, cut into 4 even slices
- 1 red bell pepper, thickly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Ounces fresh goat cheese, such as Humboldt Fog
- 4 whole-wheat pitas or thin sandwich buns, halved
Preheat a grill to medium heat. Brush the mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and bell pepper with vinegar and oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables, covered, until tender, about 8-12 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking (mushrooms and onions will take longest). Set vegetables aside to let cool, then roughly chop. Spread cheese in pitas and stuff with vegetables.