Vegan Queso Dip with Chips
This vegan queso is a great party food — it's rich and has a complex flavor that everyone from kids to grandparents loves. When you serve this dip, make sure it's warm. — Gene Baur, Living the Farm Sanctuary Life.
Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Engel and Heather Goldberg, co-owners of West Hollywood, California-based Spork Foods Cooking Classes.
Reprinted from Living the Farm Sanctuary Life by Gene Baur with Gene Stone. © 2015 by Gene Baur. Photographs © 2015 by Rodale Inc. By Permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.
- 1 ¼ Cup cashews, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
- 2 Cups unsweetened almond milk, plus more if needed
- 1 Teaspoon vegan margarine
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, roasted and mashed
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely diced
- ¼ Cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 organic tomato, seeded and diced
- ½ Cup shredded vegan Mexican-style cheese
- 1 small bag organic corn tortilla chips
In a blender, combine the cashews and almond milk. Purée to make cashew cream.
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the margarine, onions, garlic, and chiles. Cook until the onion is soft, 3 minutes. Stir in the cashew cream, nutritional yeast flakes, and lime juice until well blended. Add the salt, black pepper, cumin, beans, and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the cheese. Cook until creamy and smooth, 1 minute. If the sauce is too thick, add an additional ½ cup almond milk. Remove from the heat. Serve warm with the tortilla chips.