- 2 Cups shredded turkey
- 3 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 Cup wild and white rice blend
- 1 Cup chopped leek, white part only
- 2 Cups fresh butternut squash, cubed (in 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 Teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, bring 3 cups of water, 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil, and salt to a boil.
Stir in rice, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, until rice is cooked.
Meanwhile, heat remaining teaspoon butter or oil in a large skillet.
Add leeks and saute for 2 minutes; turn heat to low and add squash.
Cover, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, just until squash is soft.
Add leeks, squash, 2 cups shredded, cooked turkey meat, bacon and fresh sage or dry poultry seasoning to cooked rice.
Add broth and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper, and serve.