Recipe by: Executive Chef Robert Ash, Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate Florida is home to the tomato, which was first introduced in the 1600s – but it wasn’t until the early 1800s when the first tomato soup recipe was published. Tomato soup is satisfying to the soul, no matter the occasion! In this version, we add some roasted red peppers to add a touch of sweetness and vibrancy to the dish. This soup is best complemented with a classic grilled cheese because the fat from the cheese and butter cuts the acidity of the tomatoes – making the dish perfectly balanced on your palate. This classic soup can be served year-round and will always be a crowd pleaser!
For the soup
- 40 Ounces canned, diced tomato
- 1 Yellow onion, diced ea.
- 1/4 Cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1.5 Teaspoons Minced garlic
- 1/3 Cup Celery, small diced
- 1/2 Stick unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh thyme leaves
- 1.5 Tablespoons Basil, chopped
- 1.5 Teaspoons Black pepper
- 3/4 Teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 Ounce Sherry wine
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream
- 5 Ounces Roasted red peppers
For the soup
Combine onion, garlic, celelry with butter in a stock pot and sweat until translucent. Add the thyme and sherry and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes and roasted red peppers and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the herbs, salt, pepper and heavy cream. Puree into a smooth consistency and strain. Serve warm with a grilled cheese sandwich or grilled cheese “dippers” on the side.